Pneumocystis jiroveci (previously named P. carinii) is an organism that can cause Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) in immunocompromised patients. PCP, long associated with morbidity and mortality with HIV-infected (AIDS) patients, is now increasing in prevalence among the non-HIV infected immunosuppressed population. Early detection allows the introduction of appropriate treatment and may improve chances of patient survival. The Fungi Fluor® Pneumocystis kit offers a fast, fluorescent staining procedure for Pneumocystis jiroveci in bronchial specimens.Advantages:
- Direct fluorescent stain for Pneumocystis jiroveci (previously named P. carinii) cyst
- Unique fluorescent morphology (”double parenthesis” structure) is easy to identify
- Rapid 3 minutes to stain and read
- Minimal prep and clean-up
- Better results than with methenamine silver staining
- Less costly than time-consuming than immunofluorescent assays
- Permanent slides - slides can be reactivated if fluorescence dims
- Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL)
- Bronchial brush or wash
- Touch prep of fresh tissue
- Paraffin section and frozen sections
Kit contains: 10ml of Fungi-Fluor Pneumocystis solution and 10 control slides.
Up to 100 tests per kitProduct is for research use only in Europe.
Procop GW, Haddad S, Quinn J, et al. (2004) Detection of Pneuemocystis jiroveci in respiratory specimens by four staining methods. J Clin Microbiol. 42:3333–3335.
Alvarez F, Bandi V, Stager C, Guntupalli KK. (1997) Detection of Pneumocystis carinii in tracheal aspirates of intubated patients using calcofluor-white (Fungi-Fluor) and immunofluorescence antibody (Genetic Systems) stains. Critical Care Medicine 25(6):948-952
- Irritant, Unknown
- Exercise normal care
- Protect from light; Store at room temperature; Do not permit to freeze