Pneumocystis jiroveci (previously named P. carinii) is an organism that can cause Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) in immunocompromised patients. PCP, long associated with morbidity and mortality with HIV-infected (AIDS) patients, is now increasing in prevalence among the non-HIV infected immunosuppressed population. Early detection allows the introduction of appropriate treatment and may improve chances of patient survival. The Fungi Fluor® Pneumocystis kit offers a fast, fluorescent staining procedure for Pneumocystis jiroveci in bronchial specimens.
- Direct fluorescent stain for Pneumocystis jiroveci (previously named P. carinii) cyst
- Unique fluorescent morphology (”double parenthesis” structure) is easy to identify
- Rapid 3 minutes to stain and read
- Minimal prep and clean-up
- Better results than with methenamine silver staining
- Less costly than time-consuming than immunofluorescent assays
- 100 tests per kit
- Permanent slides - slides can be reactivated if fluorescence dims
- Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL)
- Bronchial brush or wash
- Touch prep of fresh tissue
- Paraffin section and frozen sections
Product is for research use only in Europe.