Mucicarmine is a positively charged stain of carmine-aluminum complex bonds that interact with negatively charged acid mucins. While acidic mucins strongly interact with the stain, neutral mucins will not and sulphated mucins vary in their reaction. Mucin concentration can be indicative of diseases such as cancer, asthma, bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and cystic fibrosis.
250 ml kit can stain up to 125 slides; 500 ml kit can stain up to 250 slides
- 26294A Weigert’s Solution A (125 ml or 250 ml)
- 26294B Weigert’s Solution B (125 ml or 250 ml)
- 26294C Stock Mucicarmine (60 ml or 20 ml)
- 26294D Acid Alcohol (250 ml or 500 ml)
- 26294E Scott’s Bluing Reagent (250 ml or 500 ml)
- Mucin: deep rose red
- Capsule of Cryptococcus: deep rose red
- Nuclei: dark blue-black
- 1. Eiman Awad and Esam Mohamed Abdul Raheem, International Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences and Technology,
21(2) (2014), pp. 28-31.
- Flammable liquid
- Gloves and chemical googles
- Store at room temperature. Special storage condition (4°C) required for Component C (Mucicarmine Stock Solution) upon receipt.